Worthy Women Series #1: Sarah

Hello dears!

I have decided to begin a series called “Worthy Women” to see how we can be inspired by women who can be thought as our role models, as well as reverse role models.

To do so, I will examine the lives of women of the Bible (of course), as well as women in history and culture.

I am beginning with Sarah, Abraham’s wife.

sarah

Quick facts

Name: Sarai, then Sarah

Meaning: princess, queen, noblewoman

Lived during Biblical Times

Wife to one of the most important patriarch in the Bible – Abraham

Children: Isaac (born when she was 90)

Stepson: Ishmael

Co-wife: Hagar

Qualities: excellent wife and mother, extremely beautiful, refined, exquisite manners

Shortcomings: exclusive and vindictive

Her Story

Sarah was half-sister to Abraham and married him. She was beautiful beyond compare and some kings even madly fell in love with her; during these occasions, Abraham would tell her to say that she’s his sister and not his wife, so that he would not be killed.

She managed to retain her beauty even after her nineties!

Although Abraham loved her very much and despite her life of privilege (Abraham was a very rich man), she had a source of deep sadness in her life: she couldn’t give an heir to her beloved husband.

It became such an issue that Abraham envisaged at one point to appoint one of his faithful servants as his heir.

However, everything changed after God made a covenant with Abraham and promised him that he would have an heir from Sarah. She was willing to believe God but wanted to act first.

She asked Abraham to take Hagar, one of her servants, as his junior wife so that they could have children – a kind of surrogate mother, if you wish. Soon, Ishmael was born.

Alas! Hagar started to despise Sarah, whereas she was still her servant. Sarah had Hagar kicked out from her place and later she could enjoy her son’s birth at God’s appointed time: Isaac. He was her sunshine and her only son made her proud.

She died later, aged 127. She left Abraham and Isaac devastated with grief. Unfortunately, she never saw her daughter-in-law Rebekha as well as her two grandsons, Esau and Jacob.

Interesting facts

• Her original name was “Sarai”, meaning “my princess”. Her name was changed to “Sarah”, meaning “queen/princess” after God made a covenant, for he said that Sarah would be the mother of many nations.
  • When God told that she would be a mother at an advanced age, she laughed because she couldn’t believe it would happen since her husband and herself were old. God reminded her that nothing is impossible to Him.
  • She called her husband “my lord”

What we can learn from Sarah

• Stand on the Lord’s promises: when you ask something to the Lord or when he has made promises, be sure that the Lord will faithfully execute His promises. God has His own calendar and knows how to make His Glory appear manifest. Don’t try to act too much by yourself because you are impatient. God knows better and He has your best interests at heart.
  • God is faithful and merciful: even if Sarah tried to act by herself, He still fulfilled the promise He made to Her
  • Learn how to keep your beauty: I imagine that Sarah knew how to retain her beauty to remain fascinating at her husband’s eyes! Since beauty is first and foremost linked to health, learn how you can be healthy: exercise, diet, maintenance. This will be the subject of upcoming posts.
  • Honor, respect and cherish your husband, so that he will stay in love with you!
  • Be a exquisite hostess and have the sense of hospitality towards strangers when they come to your place. Greet them with a huge smile and serve them gracefully.

References

Book of Genesis, chapters 12 to 21

Marek Halter, Sarah: A Novel – Canaan trilogy.

Marek Halter is just an awesome writer (one of my favorite)!

Do you agree with life lessons from Sarah’s story?

Worthy Women Series #2: Queen Esther

Worthy Women Series #3: Rebekah

1. Jade says:

Hi!

Beautifully witten and I love the topic. These women are just as important as the men in our history. Love your website. Thank you for your lovely article 🙂

Thanks !

• Liz says:

Lovely site! I really enjoyed reading about Sarah. I did know a lot about her, but you taught me a few things. I will be back to see who else you will be talking about!

• Sarah says:

I enjoyed this because my own name is Sarah. I think that even back then when people lived so much longer than we do now, it’s possible that feminine beauty lasted much longer as well. For example, women of childbearing years don’t go much beyond the 40s, yet perceived beauty can range into the 60s for our day. Maybe it’s relative for back then too. Just a thought. Maybe Sarah wasn’t of childbearing years, but still beautiful enough to her husband that the idea of such relations wasn’t discredited.

• Ana says:

Love, Love =, Love this post. I’m always interested in learning new thing from the bible. I agree with lessons you share here. We need to make our wishes to God and trust that he’ll fulfill them. This is what faith means. There are some interesting things in here like incest and having kids at 90. Very interesting.

• Leahrae says:

Thus a great story!  I am going to stick to the positives, because marrying your half brother and kicking out the mother of your husband’s child doesn’t seem right to me.  Maybe back then it was acceptable, but really not a good example.  She did a long life and was beautiful.  She did honor her husband and did stand on the Lord’s promises.  Those are qualities hard to find today.

Marrying your half brother was probably acceptable in Chaldean traditions… And Hagar was her servant so she had the power to kick her out. But yes it is totally unacceptable, I agree.

• prito82 says:

hii

i like the topic .its true that when you takecare of yourslef ,husband take more into ., as they are saying too that isf you are happy in the family then also you live long aand if you are  happy inside  you if show to the outerworld.and sarah also teaches all woman to be beautiful ,maintane yourself ,have a good diet. I am surprised that Abraham loves her so deep from heart instead of having second wife he was still in love with sarah ,and as sarah kicked hagar ,he didnt care because mostly the man chabges ,bur he loved sarah ad respected her decision

Exactly! Thanks for sharing!

• Jenni Elliott says:

A highly interesting story about the life of Sarah, thank you. I was fascinated to discover how, although she, herself, was barren, she was able to have a son through the surrogate at such an advanced age. Though, I must admit that I find it hard to believe that she lived to the age of 127 back then. I guess all things are possible in the eyes of the Lord.

Thanks for sharing !

• DashDNations says:

This is great, there are so many so call role models out there that are teaching our children bad behavior and showing them that doing things the wrong way will get you famous. Attention and fame isn’t anything to aspire to and cutting corners or making bad choices to achieve that goal is damaging. I’m glad you started out with a Bible figure, these are the kinds of women young girls should be learning from.

Thank you! Totally agree with you.

• Mike says:

I found this very interesting and loved reading the part – What we can learn from Sarah.

I like how the Lord taught her not to be impatient, how God knows better and has her best interests at heart.

Also how beauty should be seen in terms of health.

A good read and looking forward to more.