Let Go and Let God

My dear fellow Proverbs 31 women in progress,

I hope you are great and that you are growing and prospering in our Lord Jesus. I am really sorry for my absence these last two months. I travelled, I had some issues but the Lord is good and He kept me in His powerful arms.

Now, today I want to talk about the fact of letting the past behind and let God act in our lives.

These past days, when I prayed, I distinctly heard the Lord telling me that I should let the past behind. No, I’m not crazy and I don’t hear voices. If you read my posts regularly, you’ll notice that I’m the most logical person ever.

However, when I heard that message from the Lord during my prayer time, I immediately thought of Loth’s wife. Do you remember her story? Well, if you don’t, let me refresh your memory.

The woman who couldn’t leave the past behind

The story of Loth’s wife is found in Genesis 19. We don’t know anything about her, except that she had two daughters with Loth. Her story is told in the context of the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah.

As you all know, God had judged Sodom and Gomorrah for their high propensity and their high level of immorality. However, the Lord wanted to save Loth and his family because he was found righteous in the sight of the Lord.

Therefore, when the Lord sent His angels to destroy Sodom and Gomorrah, the angels told them to flee but not to look behind them. Loth’s wife disobeyed the instructions of the angels and she was turned into a pillar of salt. Ouch!

Let the past behind you

This story reminds us that sometimes God wants to act in our lives, but he can’t because we can’t let the past behind. We are stuck where we are because we are prisoner of our past. Maybe we think of our past failures over and over again. Maybe other people constantly remind us of our past.

Whatever our situation, God invites us today to let the past go and let Him act powerfully in our lives. When we let our past go, we are putting ourselves in the position to receive God’s blessings and instructions in our lives. We are ready to obey.

I know it’s hard, especially for people who never forget what people did to them, like me. However, sometimes, it’s good to erase your past and start over on a clean slate. If we don’t, we’ll be similar to a pillar of salt: we will remain at the same place, harden our hearts and eventually we’ll melt and die at a slow pace.

And that’s not what God expects from us. He wants us to grow and to prosper.

Well, that’s all for today! Do you have issues with letting go? Please share your thoughts in the comments section below!

Also, don’t forget to suscribe at my Home page to receive my special report on the Proverbs 31 woman!

1. Steve says:

Thanks for writing this article as it comes at a really important time for me. I consider myself usually able to let go of things pretty easily, however, there are some things from my childhood that still haunt me today. I have had such a hard time getting past them that it continues to affect my life, even though I’m no longer in the situation. Sometimes forgiveness is hard, but not doing so really keeps us prisoners to the past, as you said. God bless and thanks for the encouraging reminder to let go!

I am so happy that this message helped to see through your own experience. Yes forgiving can be hard but it is necessary if we want to reach new heights. Thanks for your comment !

• Sandy says:

Thank you for this very interesting article about letting go of the past. Letting go of the past is what resonates with me the most in your article. I had read the story of LOth and his wife before, but I did not connect it with the importance of letting go with the past then. Thanks to your article, I’m feeling more inspired to let go of the past, and to live in the present. Thank you again!

Dear Sandy,

THank you for your sweet comment! I’m happy that you feel more inspired to do the right thing. Stay blessed!

• akborm says:

Hi Angelce,
        I ask you a question at first that, do you really think thay past can be let behind easily? I don’t think so. Some can not be forgotten and some should not be. There may many good past behind us. They should be retained. But you told nicely that God always invite us to let behind our past and do with great power in front. However, nice to know about loth. The sory was unknown to me. Thanks for all these

No it’s not easy to let the past go. However, with God’s grace, we can let our old self and walk into the path God has put for us.

• SeunJeremiah says:

Indeed letting go can be hard because it means letting go of aspects of your past aspects of you. It also meansletting go of your expectations of how things should have been. Letting gohints of being wrong or allowing someone else to be right, when you know that what they did was wrong, but reading I understand this is all in the past and there’s nothing I can do about it.  The drama, the holding on, is in our own mind.

I do agree that the drama is in our mind but that’s what the devil wants. He wants us to remind us our difficulties, our pain and our failures. That’s why the Lord tells us to drop the past and to keep our mind pure.

• Alenka says:

Thank you for this lovely article and for the important reminder that we should at least try to live our lives in the now and not carry what we’ve lived in the past. This, of course, is much easier said than done. Your post brought some important point that I’ve been trying to address and reading through the text I have the renewed faith to keep trying and doing better every day.

Dear Alenka,

I am happy that your faith was renewed and I must say that letting go is not easy. This is a constant daily effort that we must make. But the rewards are Worth it. Stay blessed!

• gr8megawinner says:

Proverbs 31, from the beginning the Lord God wanted us to be forward-looking and look ahead and not behind. In fact, it is just our back our face is in front. It is gruesome if you would see a face place above your back! Well to look forward is actually a very serious part of being a follower of God. Look at what happened to Lot’s Wife. She didn’t heed the word of the angel not to look back. And so she was turned into solid salt. In our life today we call it to move on. We need to focus on the future rather than what happened in the past. As a Christian, we look forward to a new day as God renews us by HIs kindness and mercy. Let us not be bothered by the past but rather focus on what we can do to please God while we go forward to achieve our goals. Goals must be according to the principle of God’s love and charity.