Is Beauty a Blessing or a Curse?

My dear fellow Proverbs 31 women in progress,

Many of us pursue beauty in all its forms. As such, who can blame us?

As women of taste, we just reproduce what God instilled in us. After all, the Lord Himself took great pleasure at the beauty of His creation:

Then God saw everything that He had made, and indeed it was very good.

Genesis 1:31

Therefore, we can notice that the Lord rejoices in beauty because it is the result of order, symmetry, and harmony.

And also, beauty is what attracts men to us! It’s not surprising that we pursue beauty at all costs, because we see it as a blessing.

But for some women, beauty can be a curse. Many Biblical women must have regretted to be beautiful sometimes, when they saw what happened to them.

Let’s study some case studies…

Case study #1: Sarah

Our mother Sarah, Abraham’s wife, was one of the most beautiful women described in the Bible.

She managed to maintain her beauty until her old age, due to her faith in the Lord, which made her more radiant than the young women out there.

Can you imagine that she was coveted by Pharaoh at 65, and by Abimelec, King of Philistines, at 90? She wasn’t in her prime anymore and didn’t have plastic surgery operations either!

Because of her beauty, Abraham was afraid to be killed and asked to tell everyone that she was his sister (which was true also, as she was his half-sister).

The result? She was systematically kidnapped by powerful men and put into their harems. Fortunately, the Lord took care of her and punished those who took her away.

Case study #2: Dinah and Tamar

Both Dinah and Tamar were cursed by their beauty by being raped.

Dinah was Jacob’s only daughter. Though we don’t have details from Dinah’s beauty in the Bible, we can assume that she was beautiful.

She was kidnapped by the prince of the land while she wanted to see the girls of the country to know them. She ended up in the prince’s bedroom being raped.

The prince fell in love with her and wanted to marry her. But her brothers were against it and two of them, namely Simeon and Levi, killed all the men after asking them to be circumcised.

Dinah’s life is not recorded after this incident, though it is precised in the Book of Jubilees (a Biblical book only present in the Ethiopian Canon) that she died shortly after Joseph was sold in Egypt.

As for Tamar, her beauty caused her to be raped by her half-brother Amnon, with her father failing to defend her honour. Her full-brother Absalom vindicated her by killing Amnon two years later.

Case study #3: Bathsheba

Bathsheba was an extremely beautiful woman who was married to one of King David’s officers.

However, once he saw her, he wanted to possess her. He slept with her but she became pregnant.

To deal with this, King David had her husband killed and married her. But the Lord punished them both with the death of their newborn child.

All these cases showed that beauty can be a curse for these women. Instead of happiness, their beauty brought sufferings and dangerous situations to them.

That’s why the Bible is there for our instruction. Though beauty is desirable, it can also be a source of endless problems.

Well, that’s it for today! What do you think of these stories?

Do you view beauty as a blessing or a curse? Share your point of view in the comments below!

If you enjoyed this post, please suscribe to my blog to receive updates by email.

Click here to receive your free report on the virtues of the Proverbs 31 woman.

Follow me on my Facebook page, my Pinterest page or on my RSS Feed.

God bless you all!

Worthy Women #1: Sarah

Is It Lust or Is It Love?

1. Adam Jude says:

It’s very true, beauty can be a blessing and a curse! I’m sure there is a great number of examples on top of your list that aren’t even mentioned here. I guess we all have our upsides and downsides, it’s just harder to see with beautiful people because they mask the downsides so well.

Thanks for your article!

You’re right!

• Leahrae says:

It really amounts to how you describe beauty….as it is in the eye of the beholder.  And I think anything tragic can happen to anyone beautiful or not.  I think everyone is beautiful in their own way, and with that can be hurt as well as say the beautiful woman.  So, is it a blessing or a curse?  I can’t really answer that either.  Anyone can have this blessing or curse.

You’re right!

• Collins says:

Beauty is really a blessing, men in general are usually attracted to beautiful women and it was also very common in Bible times for women to adorn themselves with jewelry and other things to look beautiful and the Bible also encouraged women to look very good but should also be modest as well.  Thanks

Thanks for sharing your point of view!

• Jelena says:

Beauty has always been a double-edged sword. It’s something you just get. It’s not something to be gained and I think that’s why women are jealous of beautiful women. Men want to have you and if they don’t, their ego collapses and women want to be better than you in everything because they know that they can’t by beauty. There are very few who simply accept you without any vanity. Personally, the most ridiculous thing for me is the assumption that if you are beautiful, you are stupid.

Thanks for sharing!

• Sylvia says:

Dear Angelce,

Is this a french name? I have to say that I admire you. Because I always wanted to serve the Lord Jesus. You do, beautiful sister in Christ. I love your website. I love the title. Is Beauty a curse or a blessing? Yes, it is really a good question. The Father loves us the way we are. And so does the Lord Jesus! We are made perfect through Him! So, it can’t be a curse! We are all sinners, and only by Grace, we are saved. So if beauty has become a curse, men have changed it through their actions to be a curse. God sees beauty differently than most men do. You have already quoted proverbs 31. 31/30 Favour is deceitful, and beauty is vain: but a woman that feareth the Lord, she shall be praised.

This is the beauty the Lord sees in us. Thank you so much for this website and your thoughts. This is beautiful, Proverbs 31.

I am not a preacher either, but I am a sister in Christ.

Be blessed, beautiful sister!

Dear Sylvia,

Yes I am French! And thanks for sharing!

• Hollie Rose says:

I think anything in an extreme form is bad. Beauty is fine as long as you’re not the most beautiful around. In general, everything in life that is taken to the extreme ends up being bad for the person. Another thing is one has to not let their physical appearances get to their head- if one is pretty one should remember it really has nothing to do with them, it’s simply a gift from G-d!