- the ability or result of an ability to think and act utilizing knowledge, experience, understanding, common sense, and insight
- accumulated knowledge, erudition, or enlightenment
- a wise saying or wise sayings or teachings
- soundness of mind
Hello, my beloved sisters!
Today I am going to talk about being a wise woman, which is the foundation of being like a Proverbs 31 woman. Wisdom is also one of the gifts of the Holy Spirit (Isaiah 11, 1-2) and quoted in the Book of Proverbs as the most desirable thing that a man should look for in his life.
Here are the steps that we should all follow to get wisdom.
Go to the source – Ask God
If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given to him.
Do you remember King Solomon’s story? When God appeared to him in a dream, instead of asking for riches or a long life him; he asked for wisdom and understanding. His request pleased God who gave him wisdom beyond compare but also things he did not ask.
We can also follow his example and ask boldly to God to give us wisdom in our professional and personal affairs. We should come as we are and ask with faith.
As I do think that God never changes, he will also be pleased by our request if we ask without doubting. We must ask and believe that God is the ultimate source of Wisdom.
Always remember that “the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom” (Proverbs 9,10).
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.
Exalt her, and she shall promote thee; she shall bring thee to honour, when thou dost embrace her.
She shall give to thine head an ornament of grace: a crown of glory shall she deliver to thee.
Proverbs 4, 7-9.
After asking for wisdom, we should start seeking knowledge in the different things we are interested in.
There are different ways we can acquire knowledge:
- Books: you can built your own private library which will include the different topics you want to study. If you don’t have enough money to buy books, you can suscribe to your public library and borrow books there (it’s generally free!). If you think that you are not into books, why don’t you start with reading a chapter from the Bible everyday for example? As for me, I have been an avid reader since my childhood, so I can tell you that my Kindle is quite full!
- Seminars/coaching sessions/private lessons: do you want to go further and be concretely taught? Then attend a seminar, hire a coach or attend private courses. I can assure you that it’s life-changing. I personally attended a coaching workshop which was organized by the female network of the company where I currently work for only EUR 30 (about USD 33). The workshop was about finding your strenghts and use them in your Professional and personal life. Guess what? After that workshop, 1/I discovered my strenghts, 2/I discovered how to use them, 3/ I have an action plan to develop them. Isn’t that wonderful? However, if you don’t have enough financial resources, you can always go on YouTube and find a seminar for free! Our generation was really blessed with the extensive amount of information and knowledge that can be found.
- Find a mentor: a mentor is another interesting way to acquire knowledge. It combines the acquisition of knowledge with the privilege of having a special relationship with a person. Usually, a mentor is a person who has more experience in the field you want to study. I would advise you to look for a Wise and patient person who will answer your questions, guide you, comfort you and teach you. You can have several mentors if you are interested in several areas. You can even have virtual mentors: if you admire someone that you want to emulate in a specific field, you can look for his/her advice in that specific matter. For example, I admire Oprah Winfrey’s career in business and I Watch her videos on YouTube on her speeches about her career and her life.
In which fields can women seek knowledge?
My understanding of Proverbs 31 showed me that a woman should acquire knowledge in the following topics (please note that this list is not exhaustive):
- Spiritual matters, fear of the Lord
- Financial education
- Children upbringing
- Beauty, elegance
- Femininity, charm
- Art of conversation, refinement
Apply your knowledge
Knowledge comes first, and then the application of knowledge, which is wisdom
H. Andelin, Fascinating Womanhood
When you have acquired this knowledge, don’t hesitate to apply it in your daily life. Once you get a mindset of self-discipline which enables you to become proficient in your field, apply your knowledge until it becomes a habit.
We should remember that we should only strive for knowledge on good and profitable things, as the wonderful Proverbs 31 women that we are!
Grow in wisdom
Once you acquire wisdom, don’t take it for granted. We should make a commitment with ourselves to further our education and to never stop learning. Nurture wisdom, nourish it.
Moreover, don’t be hard on yourself if you don’t succeed everything overnight. Be kind to yourself, learn from your failures, and start over. “For a just man falleth seven times, and riseth up again” (Proverbs 24,16).
When you start applying these steps to wisdom, as I am currently doing, you will notice a lot of jealousy and nasty comments from people. They will make fun at you because you have probably bought a book about raising children, or because you attend self-help seminars (it happened to me).
Here is my advice: don’t worry about it, keep your eyes on the prize, and move on!
Do you know the reward of being a wise woman? Let’s read Solomon, the wisest man who ever lived on this earth:
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom, and the man that getteth understanding.
For the merchandise of it is better than the merchandise of silver, and the gain thereof than fine gold.
She is more precious than rubies: and all the things thou canst desire are not to be compared unto her.
Length of days is in her right hand; and in her left hand riches and honour.
Her ways are ways of pleasantness, and all her paths are grace.
She is tree of life to them that lay hold upon her: and happy is every one that retaineth her.
Proverbs 3, 13-18
Let’s say Amen to that and stay blessed!