My dear fellow Proverbs 31 women in progress,
I hope that you had a good week in God’s grace. Today, as I announced on my Facebook page concerning my editorial content, I will focus more on topics related to spiritual battle, since we are confronted to it as Christian women.
Indeed, the Scripture teaches us that “we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places” (Ephesians 6:12).
Therefore, I will start my new articles on spiritual battle with a post on the Jezebel spirit, which is quite present in this day and age, as we are walking towards the end of all things.
But before I give you the characteristics of the Jezebel spirit, let’s examine who is Jezebel in the Old Testament.
Who is Jezebel?
Jezebel’s story can be found in the First and Second Books of Kings in the Bible. She is a Sidonian princess, daughter of the King Ethbaal. She came from a very advanced civilization which worshipped Baal.
Before we continue with her story, it is worth noting several elements which will be useful to explain some elements in the story:
- her name “Izevel” in Hebrew can have several meanings. It can mean “where is the prince?”, which refers to the ritual question that was asked to commemorate the coming of Baal in the underworld. However, her name can also mean “Baal is exalted”. In any case, her name sums up the spiritual programme she had for her new kingdom.
- Jezebel was a Sidonian princess, and belonged therefore to a tribe to which the children of Israel were prohibited to be linked by marriage by the Lord:
But King Solomon loved many foreign women, as well as the daughter of Pharaoh: women of the Moabites, Ammonites, Edomites, Sidonians, and Hittites – from the nations of whom the Lord has said to the children of Israel, “you shall not intermarry with them, nor they with you. Surely they will turn away your hearts after their gods” – 1 Kings 11: 1-2.
Despite all these warning signs, Ahab, King of Israel, decided to marry her, probably for political and diplomatic reasons, as this was presented as a prestigious alliance. However, this marriage was King Ahab’s doom, as well as a dark period for Israel’s spirituality.
First of all, she started enticing her husband and the children of Israel into worshipping Baal, causing the Lord to be very angry with the childen of Israel. Also, she caused a division among the Israelites because they were confused in the deity they should worship and did not make a clear choice between the Lord and Baal.
As Jezebel was very zealous about Baal’s worship, she entertained the clergy of her religion; as 450 prophets of Baal and 400 prophets of Asherah ate at her table, even when there was a huge famine in Samaria and the people was starving.
However, as she wanted Baal’s worship to be exclusive in Israel, she persecuted the prophets of the Lord and massacred them. Among them, only Elijah and 100 prophets rescued by Obadiah, the chief of the royal house, survived.
Following this persecution, Elijah challenged the prophets of Baal to see who was the One and True God between Baal and the Lord. He offered to prepare a sacrifice and to invoke their respective deities to make the fire burn the victims.
They accepted but the Lord and Elijah won the challenge, showing who was the True God. After that, Elijah slaughtered all the prophets of Baal. When Jezebel heard of it, she became furious and threatened Elijah to kill him. Elijah had to flee for his life.
Later, King Ahab wanted to exapnd his gardens and asked a man named Naboth to buy his vineyards for this purpose. When Naboth refused to sell the lands which he inherited from his ancestors, Ahab came back home very sad.
But Jezebel, coming from a country where the wishes of the King were mere orders, took the matter into her hands and told her husband that he would have Naboth’s vineyards.
She plotted against Naboth and elaborated false accusations of blasphemy and high treason against the King to have him executed. Because of that, Elijah prophesied that Jezebel would be eaten by dogs by the wall of Jizreel.
When she was a widow, she saw her two sons become Kings of Israel but they were still living in the path of Baal. When Jehu made a coup d’etat and killed everyone belonging to the House of Ahab. When Jezebel heard that he was in her palace, she put make-up on her eyes, dressed in fine clothes, and was very defiant towards Jehu.
At Jehu’s request, Jezebel was thrown out the window by two of her servants. When they came to bury her, she was eaten by dogs and only found her skull and the palms of her hands.
Later, in the New Testament, Jezebel is described as a false prophetess who leads the Church astray in the letter to the Church in Thyatira found in the Book of Revelation:
Nevertheless, I have a few things against you, because you allow that woman Jezebel, who calls herself a prophetess, to teach and seduce My servants to commit sexual immorality and eat things sacrificed to idols. And I gave her time to repent of her sexual immorality, and she did not repent. – Revelation 2:20-21
Characteristics of the Spirit of Jezebel
Before we begin, please be aware that the Spirit of Jezebel can be found in both men and women. However, unfortunately, it seems that in practice this spirit often torments women more.
- The Spirit of Jezebel litterally hates the servants of the Lord and persecutes them. That’s why ministers, pastors and elders are her favorite targets as she wants to destroy the Church. If you see churches where the leaders are ungodly and where there is no spiritual growth, know that this Spirit is active in that place.
- The Spirit of Jezebel is a source of confusion and division in families, in cities, in communities and churches.
- The Spirit of Jezebel promotes religious zeal. Don’t commit the mistake to believe that this spirit is not religious. It’s just that she hates the true religion of Christ. A person with the Spirit of Jezebel will have all the appearances of religion, but she will deny everything that the Lord has ordained because this spirit hates the Lord.
- The Spirit of Jezebel wants to replace the religion of the Lord with a religious system founded on witchcraft, false doctrines, and will twist the Scripture.
- The Spirit of Jezebel is manipulative, cunning and will never stop at anything to obtain what it wants.
- The Spirit of Jezebel promotes sexual promiscuity and prostitution. Prostitution here is to be understood as both spiritual and physical. It’s not by chance that you see many imagery filled with immodesty in the entertainment industry (espacially in fashion).
- The Spirit of Jezebel always seeks revenge and is full of hatred for people she doesn’t like or people who don’t serve her purpose. This Spirit considers people like tools.
- The Spirit of Jezebel is extremely arrogant, proud and thinks it knows better than anyone. It does not recognizes sins or mistakes, causing her to never repent. This Spirit promotes constant rebellion against the Lord and His commandments.
- When this Spirit possesses a woman, the woman will be the kind who will not be submissive to her husband and will always belittle him and dominates the household.
How should we handle the Spirit of Jezebel?
Here is the action plan if you meet a person having the 9 characteristics of the Spirit of Jezebel:
- Place yourself on the protection of the blood of Jesus
- Pray without ceasing so that this Spirit does not harm you and your loved ones
- Choose to live the path of righteousness and to obey the Lord.
Well, that’s it for today! Do you think of other characteristics of the Jezebel Spirit? Have you met someone who has these characteristics?
Please leave your thoughts on this article in the comments section below!
Also, don’t forget to suscribe here and receive my updates and your free ebook on the virtues of the Proverbs 31 woman!