Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy – meditate on these things
My dear fellow Proverbs 31 women in Progress,
I hope you had a good week. Today, I will talk about the way we can keep sound minds as Christian women. This post will give some tips that you and I can follow everyday as Christians to sanctify our minds and grow in wisdom.
I mention “you and I” because just like you, I am a sinner and I also need a Savior. I also need to sanctify my life to please God and to have my name mentioned in the Book of Life – like all of us, I guess.
I will share 3 main tips to have a sound Christian mind:
- Reprogram your mind
- Read good books
- Say no to ungodly influences
Reprogram your mind
The quote that I took from the Book of Philippians say it all. As Christian women, we must deliberately focus our energy to keep our minds pure and spotless. I am not saying this is easy, but with the help of the Holy Spirit, everything is possible. Jesus Himself said that the road to salvation was narrow, but the road to perdition was broad. And sometimes, the battle starts in our minds. We should take a firm decision today to dedicate our minds to the Lord and look for sanctification.
Read good books
Reading good books have an effect on your mind as it gives you wisdom, knowledge and ideas. They also widen your horizons and make you discover the world. I know that many people despise reading, especially for women. As you may know, I’ve been an avid reader since my childhood. I remember that one day when I was 9, a man looked at me and told my father that I didn’t need to read that much and that I should rather focus on homemaking to find a husband. I was 9!
Now don’t get me wrong: homemaking is important. It is one of our calling as Christian women. However, don’t neglect your mind. Jesus told Martha that Mary chose the best part when Martha complained that Mary didn’t help her in the kitchen to listen to Jesus’s teachings. Never forget that.
Here are the kind of books you can read to get a sound mind:
- The Bible: this is THE Book. I’ve committed the Bible everyday since the beginning of the year and I can already feel the effects of my new habits. I’ve felt comforted and strengthened by some verses of the bible and it seems that I find answers to all my questions. I also meditate on God’s promises and I feel renewed
- Christian books: they will add perspective and practical precisions on your Bible reading. You can read Christian books on prophecy, womanhood issues, money management, or personal development
- Classics: they will enrich your vocabulary, enable you to have a good command of language and offer you different visions of the world
Say no to ungodly influences
Did you know that “sanctify” means “to set apart, to separate”? What does this imply for us? It means that having a sound mind involves not going after the world’s wicked ways and lusts. It means that we should keep our minds from evil influences that can come from different senses:
- hearing (for example, if we hear bad music)
- sight (for example, if we watch bad movies or read sexy literature)
- taste (for example, when we eat unnatural foods – yes, food also has an effect on your mind. Some studies have suggested that aggressivity might come from eating a lot of refined sugar)
- touch (for example, when we wear immodest clothes)
Look at Eve in the Garden of Eden. She was explicitly told that she shouldn’t eat from the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil, lest she would die. But when the devil went to her and told her that she wouldn’t die, she pushed aside what God told her in her mind and decided to trust her senses. She saw the fruit was beautiful to look at (sight), and when she ate it (taste), she didn’t die immediately. However the consequences of her actions were bad for all mankind.
Unlike Eve, we should always keep our minds shut to evil influences of the world and not trust our senses all the time.
That’s it for my post today! And you, what are your tips to keep a sound Christian mind? Please feel free to share your point of view!
Did you enjoy reading this post? Then, suscribe to my blog and start receiving email updates!