Are you beautiful in God’s standards?

Favour is deceitful, and beauty is vain: but a woman that feareth the Lord, she shall be praised.

Proverbs 31,30.

beautiful woman 1

Hello, my dear fellow Proverbs 31 women in progress!

Today, I didn’t feel like going out (it’s quite cold here in Paris!) and I came across a book entitled Lies Young Women Believe And The Truth That Sets Them Free, and I realized that we are so brainwashed about many things, such as beauty.

Magazines, TV shows are always showing women to emulate and sometimes, as we want to be as perfect as the model we are shown, we get depressed and tired.

In the book, there was the story of a teenage girl who was an aspiring model and who was told that she was fat by the people in charge of castings (whereas she was quite thin according to normal standards). Soon, she started to develop anorexia and starved herself to attain the “model’s ideal weight”. She ended up at hospital and she’s still trying to recover.

Do you realize how much we are in bondage so that we could be perfect? Fortunately, God’s principles are here to set us free and to remind us that the most important is having faith in him and building your character.

Being Beautiful does not mean you are going to be happy

External beauty is temporary and by the way, it does not guarantee that you’ll get a happy life (even if you can get a free pass).

Look at the following examples:

• Marilyn Monroe was a megastar and the female sex symbol of her era. But she was very unhappy in her private life and committed suicide
marilyn monroe
Marilyn Monroe
  • Elizabeth Taylor was extremely beautiful and desired by everyone, but her private life was extremely chaotic (especially her marriages)
elizabeth taylor
Elizabeth Taylor
  • Queen Marie-Antoinette of France was beautiful and charming, but she finished her life tragically and was hated by the French people

marie antoinette

Queen Marie-Antoinette of France

• Dalida, a French singer, had everything for her, including beauty. However, she suffered a lot in her love life (almost all the men she dated or married committed suicide) and she ended to commit suicide herself
dalida

Dalida

The Lord is reminding us that he looks first in our hearts and if we are willing to do His will. He wants women to be free and to fulfill their mission. But how can we meet God’s standards on beauty? I have some ideas that I want to share here.

Consecrate yourself to God

praying woman

If we look at the Proverbs 31 woman, we realize that she has a deep connection to God and that she recognizes Him as the source of everything. Moreover, her faith in God is the foundation for fulfilling all the roles she was assigned by the Lord. She knows that without God, she can’t do anything.

Put God first

woman reading the bible

I would recommend to search God early in the morning, so that you set the tone for your day. Remember that all great spiritual leaders woke up early to be in connection with the Lord – King David and Jesus himself can testify of the benefits of this practice.

Plan some time early in the morning before you start your day to pray, read your Bible and/or devotionals and meditate on God’s Word. I promise that you will be regenerated and you will be rewarded for your faithfulness.

Accept God’s plan for your life

beautiful active woman

When I read Proverbs 31, I realized that God’s Word was so empowering for women. I found out that I didn’t want to impress anyone with my curriculum, or my degrees. I just want to fulfill the roles God has given for every women:

• Being a woman of character
  • Being a devoted wife and mother
  • Being a wise woman who builds her house, in every way
  • Being a woman who doesn’t fear for the future because she fears the Lord!

I invite you to meditate on this and to start applying God’s will for your life. And don’t be afraid of what people will think about you! You’ll always find critical people everywhere.

Don’t neglect your physical appearance, though

reine esther

The magnificent and wise Queen Esther

It would be a shame that you proclaim to be God’ princesses and queens and that you neglect your body! Women, we should start glorifying God in our bodies and present our bodies like “a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God” (Romans 12,1).

Eat properly, get beauty sleep, exercise, dress weel (our Proverbs 31 woman is dressed in silk and purple!) and have facial treatments. You should like radiant for Jesus inside and outside!

Also, God delights in beauty. Look at all the things he created in the nature. Aren’t they beautiful? I suspect God to be the Ultimate Artist and He can mold our characters, so that we will appear beautiful to Him, if we ask Him to do so.

Remember, many women of faith were strikingly beautiful: Sarah, Esther, Rebekah were certainly very beautiful. But if they are remembered today, it’s mostly because of their characters and their fear of the Lord.

Start following God’s principles for beauty and reject the wisdom of the world about it!

Do you agree with these principles? Please share your point of view!

1. Cat says:

I agree the world puts so much emphasis on looks when beauty is only really skin deep, looking beautiful on the outside does make us the same on the inside.
    Being a good person of character is something we should all work on instead of outside appearances.
    Thank you for your though provoking post

2. Cathy says:

Hi Angel,

Every culture and country has got a beauty who did not live a happy life. I think there’s a moral of story that we can all learned from.

I was taught from a very young age to not depend on your look for happiness because they are just temporary. I am also in the opinion that all women are beautiful in their own way. ‘Ugly’ belongs to the women who are lazy and do not take care of themselves and the things around them – at least that’s my opinion.

3. Brandon says:

Interesting site about women or people who want to learn about women. I agree being beautiful does not mean you are going to be happy. I seen a picture of Marilyn Monroe, she was a beauty wasn’t she. But your only happy when you find out how beautiful you truly are in the inside. Good website hope to hear more from you.

4. Sean says:

Hi Elodie,

It always saddens me to hear what women go through because of the standards society has set.

What you say about that is true – it must be a lot for a woman to bear.

I think that beautiful women don’t always have an easier time though. My feeling is that, because of their outward appearance, they are chased by many men.

The most confident man isn’t necessarily the one who is going to love you the most. In fact it’s often just the opposite.

As always, great advice for ladies aspiring to be consecrated to God in this modern world.

Take care,
    Sean

5. Lukas says:

Great article again!! This is so true, that girls/women in today world think that being same as models is important.
    The real beauty lies within!!! The outside is just a shell! I’m not saying women should not look after themselves, but don’t try to be as someone else!
    Just be yourself, you’re all beautiful!!!
    Thanks for great article!!
    Lukas

6. adam says:

Hi Angelce,
    Great post and some excellent advice for the women. I agree with what you’ve said, and it seems like everyone today, not just women but men aswell give to much importance to their physical appearance.
    I think it ultimately goes down to people looking for happiness in life and through the media we’ve been given a false impression of what true happiness is. I think if people spent more time trying to please god rather than the people they would live a much happier life. There is a saying I heard that comes to mind.
    Pleasing the creator is an achievable goal and is commanded.
    Whereas pleasing the creation is unachievable and not commanded.

7. Sonja Bell says:

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts on this! I agree, the standards of beauty in today’s society have destroyed women. It’s become socially acceptable to insult oneself when in the company of other women, and to degrade our physical appearance, either to fish for compliments or simply because it’s the norm. How awful to talk about God’s creation that way! What does it say about God when we put ourselves down, when we are made in His image! Keep divulging the characteristics of the Proverbs 31 woman, they are desperately needed today!

8. LakanDula says:

Interesting read, the niche is….I believe to be Christian feminists (please correct me if I’m wrong). Content is a unique audience of the broader religious Christian niche and it seems to be the motivational-type Christian. Content provides helpful tips for women wanting to live their lives to their fullest potential, and of course – their faith.

9. Julie Nourish says:

What a uplifting and positive post! It is so true that beauty is only superficial and we can get programmed by society so easily. My daughter has struggled with this image our T.V. and film society in America has thrust upon us. We are very spiritual and realize that God is our source and the fountain of all that is and yet the power of media to influence is undeniable. Your advice to start the tone of the day early is very essential and well founded. Thank you for the beautiful article.

Thank you for your comment! The devil wants to remodel the idea of beauty and he targets especially our young girls. Fortunately for is Jesus has already overcome the World! Keep growing in faite and stay blessed

10. Lyne & Guy says:

So many sad stories like that. And it’s affecting some men as well. It’s true though that God doesn’t look at us that way. He is not impressed by how we look. He sees beyond that, at our heart, no matter how tortuous it can be sometimes. He sees the person we are and the one we can become with Him.

But like you said, it doesn’t mean that we should neglect our outer appearance.

I personally learn to love myself by starting to look at how God could love me. I don’t have kids. But I have a nephew. He’s eleven now. But I took care of him almost as if he was my son. And he means the world to me. I always look at God love for me and him that way… telling myself that God loves me even more than that.